Hakan Gürsu was born on 1959 in Ankara. He graduated suma cum laude from the Middle East Technical University (METU), Department of Industrial Design in 1984. In 1987, he obtained his Master’s degree from the Department of Architecture of the same university. He continued his professional and academic activities in Japan and obtained his PhD degree in 1996. He worked in Russia and in Japan in the fields of interior design and architecture, city planning and product design. He was awarded the “Pioneer of Design” prize in developing urban furnishings for Tokyo Metro in conjunction with the “Advance Program of Industrial Design” project organized by the Japanese Industrial Design Association and the Japanese Government.
Since August 1984, he has a full time academic position in the Middle East Technical University, Department of Architecture and Industrial Design - teaching primarily; Product Design, Graphic Communications, Product Design Modeling and Product Design Illustration. His main interests are Industrial Product Design, Prototype Development and Presentation Techniques. He is one of a member academician of the Robotic Center BİLTİR, and Department of Architecture project development business unit “Corporate Identity” known as BRAND_C set up in 2005 at METU. He took part in the registration of many new industrial products and helped creating new technologies and companies.
In 2006, he was elected to the evaluation board of TUBİTAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey). During the same year, he became one of the founders of a new start-up striking design company – DESIGNNOBIS. This company focuses on product design, research and development within the Techno park of the Middle East Technical University.
IIn 2007, he won the “International Design Award” in two disciplines and became the first designer who brought “Oscars of Design” to Turkey. In May 2008 during Istanbul Forum, he was awarded the most prestigious prize for being in the third place among the group of people successfully represented Turkey. He also received various awards and recognitions regarding his effective contributions to environmental problems.
Since May 2007, he has been a regular author of the Science and Technology magazine of TÜBİTAK contributing many articles in the fields of Creativity and Design.
- Metin Pınar, “Atributes Traditional Playground Equipment Design in Childrens’s Developmental needs”, Department of Industrial Design,Master Thesis, METU 17July, 2003
- Öksüz, Sena“ A comperative Study on Differences in Color Determination Process and Criteria of Leading Automobile Industry and Effects on User Choice ”, Department of Industrial Design,Master Thesis, METU, 26 January 2004
- Yavaş, Nermin” Gender differences in product form perception”, Department of Industrial Design,Master Thesis, METU ,27 April 2006
- Tuğra Erol, “The Visual Perception of Automobile Seat Comfort” , Department of Industrial Design, Master Thesis, METU,08.Eylül 2006
- Ak, Duygu ,” Oyun ve Oyuncak Kavramlarının Tarihsel ve kültürel Değişimine Endüstriyel Tasarım Açısından bir bakış” Anatolia Universty Faculty of Science, Department of Industrial Design, Master Thesis, September 2006
- Tekmen ,Yasemin ,” In the frame of cultural analysis ,Questioning the concept of design and culture with in the tableware product sand cooking utensil”, Department of Industrial Design,Master Thesis, January 2007, METU
-Özcan, Nergis, “The emotional reactions of tactical qualities on handheld product experinces” Department of Industrial Design, Master Thesis, December 2008.METU
-Abacı, Ezgi, “Perception values of local users for urban identity elements in Ankara Atatürk Boulevard “Department of Industrial Design, Master Thesis, December February 2009.METU
Publishing in last 3 years
Ulusal bilimsel toplantılarda sunulan ve bildiri kitabında basılan bildiriler; Publishing
- 1986,” Mobilya Tasarımında Girdilerin Optimizasyonu “, Konut ve Mobilya Sempozyumu, Eylül 1986, ODTÜ Ankara
-1988, “Kentsel Çevre ‘de Dış Bildirişim Ögelerine Bütünsel bir Yaklaşım”, Ankara Büyükşehir Belediyesi , 20-23 Ekim , Ankara.
-1990 “ An Urban Furniture Proposal for Tokyo Subway” Japan Industrial Design Association ,Tokyo
-1992,” Yerel Yönetim ve Kentsel Çevre’de Mekan Düzenlenmesi Sorunları”, Bogazlar Belediyeleri Birliği Kent Mobilyaları Sempozyumu, İstanbul pp.3-15
Conference / Speakers in 2008-2010
Other publishings ;
-1988.” Ankara Kalesi Koruma Geliştirme Yarışması Proje Raporu; Bir Katılım Projesi Önerisi”, Ankara Büyükşehir Belediyesi, 1990 Ankara
-Tofaş/Fiat projesi 2000 yılı Otomobil Tasarım çalışması BİLTİR
-2010 yılı için buzdolabı geliştirme projesi; Destekleyen kuruluş Arçelik 2003 Anadolu Üniversitesi ESYO bölümü; 2 aşamalı öğrenci projesi (workshop Yöneticisi )
-2004 DANONESA , Damacana aparatı geliştirme projesi, ODTÜ / İTÜ / Anadolu Üniversitesi ESYO bölümlerinin katılımı ile öğrenci proje yarışması .. (Koordinatör)
- 2004 Egenin İki Yakası; Zeytin Yağı türevlerine yönelik Ürün geliştirme çalıştayı, Ekim Ayvalık. ( Workshop Yöneticisi)
-2006 ODTÜ Mimarlık Fakültesi Mezunları ağacı ( Proje Tasarımcısı / Yöneticisi )
- Industrial Design Association of TURKEY / ETMK one of the foundation member)
- ROBOTIC center in METU 1997
- MATPUM-Brand C Dept. Director. 2005 on going,
- ETMK High Advisory committe 2006 on going.
-Turkish Scientific and Technolgical Council , Scientific toys evaluation committe member ,December 2006 on going.
- Founder of Designnobis Foundation . Since 2006 june.
Jury Members, (2000 forwards )
- 1. Delta Mobilya Yarışması Jüri üyesi 2001 yılı
This site is designed and sponsored by HakanGürsu Design Foundation.